Vancouver Community College Foundation is a registered charity dedicated to stimulating financial support for Vancouver Community College students in the form of scholarships, awards, bursaries and training materials.
The Partners in Tourism – TIP Society has been supporting this charity since 2010 and has enabled funding for the following:
- Entrance awards for 48 hospitality management diploma students and 8 bachelor of hospitality students
- Scholarships to 26 exemplary students
- Special bursaries for 2 baking students, one of whom went on to win a gold medal at Skills Canada nationals in Saskatoon
- Educational support for a Nepalese student whose family lost everything during the earthquake; he was able to stay in Canada and continue his hospitality management program
- Competition support for 2 chefs to compete at an international Asian culinary competition in Hong Kong
Dara returned to school after twelve years of working internationally within the hotel community. Her work has encompassed travel to over eighty cities but Vancouver will always be home. She is currently enrolled in the Executive Cohort at VCC and enjoys the knowledge she is gaining from the exceptional teachers in the program. Her goal is to continue to support the growth and development of emerging leaders in Hospitality.
Tim is in his 43rd year working in the hospitality industry in Vancouver. Tim is a Certified Chef-de-Cuisine, Certified Sommelier, a Level 3 Assessor for the Wine and Spirit Education Trust (UK) and a Certified Chef Assessor for the BC Industry Training Authority’s Red Seal Cooking Program. He holds a Diploma of Technology in Hospitality Administration from BCIT. He was the founding President of the BC Wine Appreciation Society and has served as President of the BC Food and Beverage Directors Association, and was National Technical Committee Chair for the Skills Canada Restaurant Service Competition. Tim is employed as Director of Food and Beverage Service at the prestigious Vancouver Club.